Monday 29 October 2012

A Thought For The Week Of October 29

"He replied, 'You of little faith, why are you so afraid?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm." (Matthew 8:26) Even as I write this I'm watching CNN's coverage of Hurricane Sandy, and the havoc it's brought to New York and New Jersey, and, at the same time, I'm listening to the wind howling outside, as Sandy approaches my own home. Jesus once faced a storm - out on a lake, with his disciples. They were afraid. The storm was powerful. They didn't know if they'd be safe. And Jesus protected them, calming the storm. I don't anticipate that Jesus will simply make Sandy go away, but on many occasions I have faced my own personal "storms" and I've discovered what those disciples discovered: when Jesus is with you, there's no need to be afraid. Sometimes the storms of life can be fierce and they can seem overwhelming. But trust in Jesus gives us the strength to face them and not be overwhelmed. Facing some kind of storm right now? Any kind of storm? Jesus will calm the wind and the waves. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment