Monday 14 January 2013

A Thought For The Week Of January 14

“Our Lord and God! You are worthy to receive glory, honour, and power. For You created all things, and by Your will they were given existence and life.” (Revelation 4:11) I sometimes wonder about this verse. Is that the only reason? I mean, God must already have power, or God couldn't have done all this creating, and as for glory and honour - well - I create lots of things, but I don't think that makes me worthy of glory or honour. Well, I might think it does, but no one else seems to! No, God's creativity - even of me - can't be the whole of what makes God worthy of glory and honour. Some might say that it's what God gives us that makes God worthy of such things. God gives us grace and forgiveness and new life and a new beginning. But it can't be just that. That's just kind of selfish if we think God is worthy of glory and honour because of what God gives us. So it has to be more. I think that what really makes God worthy of glory and honour is God's nature. It's not what God does or what God gives, it's what God is in the depths of the divine being. It's that God is love. It's that God is so close to us. It's that God is both so intimate and so mysterious all at the same time. It's that God is with us and never leaves us. It seems to me that's what makes God worth of glory and honour. It also demonstrates that God is worthy of the power God exercises as well. So - do give God glory and honour, and rejoice in God's power. God is worthy of all these things. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment