Tuesday 21 May 2013

A Thought For The Week Of May 20

"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." (Genesis 1:2) With Pentecost having been marked this past Sunday, I find myself reflecting on the work of the Holy Spirit. So much of our thinking about God's Spirit is tied up with the "charismatic experience." While not dismissing that experience, I wonder if it hasn't taken such a place of priority in our thinking that we miss the actual work of God's Spirit? When I think about the second verse of the Bible (and the first time the Spirit of God is mentioned in the Bible) I think about the fact that it was the presence of God's Spirit that suddenly started turning chaos into order. The work of creation - the work of taking this formless, empty and dark thing called earth and making it a home for God's people - could now begin. Doesn't God's Spirit still bring chaos from order? I know that many times I'm most aware of the presence of the Spirit of God when things aren't going very well; when everything does seem to be in chaos. Then, somehow, the Spirit of God brings peace. Or perhaps it's when I don't know what to do or where to turn or where I'm being called to. Then, suddenly, the Spirit of God gently guides me into God's will. I'm not perfect in following it by any means, but to know that God's Spirit is with me is a true blessing. I hope all of you feel the same blessing. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment