Monday 3 June 2013

A Thought For The Week Of June 3

"Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses." (Proverbs 10:12) As the old saying goes, there's a fine line between love and hate. There's even a connection between their consequences, as this verse from Proverbs points out. Falling into hatred toward a person or a group leads to all sorts of troubles, but living in love is what can overcome the hatred that we too often see around us. Hatred is an emotion, of course - but it's not a good one, and it's one I hope we can avoid for the most part. As I search my conscience I think I can honestly say that there's no one I hate. There are those I dislike; those I choose to have little to do with; those who irritate me. But no one I can think of that I actually hate. That doesn't make me any shining example. I'd like to think that real hatred is a rare thing. It's just that the consequences of real hatred are so obvious and so dramatic that hatred seems so powerful. Love, however, conquers all! I think that's true. Or, as Paul put it in 1 Corinthians 13, "love never fails." To truly live in love is to conquer hatred - it's to eliminate it from our own lives, and it's the only worthwhile response to it when we encounter it. "Love your enemies," Jesus said. In other words, offer love to those you would be most inclined to hate. Love is powerful, and love can change the world. The love of God already has! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment