Monday 15 July 2013

A Thought For The Week Of July 15

"The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride." (Ecclesiastes 7:8, NIV) It's often said that "patience is a virtue." In fact, it's said so often that many people probably believe the words come from the Bible. They don't, although I think the old saying captures the spirit of what Scripture teaches about patience. I learned a lot about patience this past Sunday. We had gone across the border to do some shopping and have dinner. On the way back, we discovered the Canadian border jammed. Approaching the Peace Bridge, cars were lined up across the bridge, through the streets of the city leading to the bridge, on to Interstate 190 and almost to Downtown Buffalo. That's a long line. We skipped that crossing and decided to try the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. Cars were lined up a long way into the city and of course the police directed us to the end of the line, where we had no option but to sit and wait. For probably close to two hours. That's when you learn patience - either you have it, you're trying to develop it, or you just don't care about it. I saw examples of all three. I think I personally fall into the second category. But I watched the people in the third category - those who just don't care for being patient. Those who would inch forward a bit and then try to force their way in ahead of another car. Those who would suddenly leave the line, heading down a side street that represented another route to the border - as if they expected that route to be magically clear. And I wondered what difference those few minutes (or maybe just a few seconds) would make in their lives. The answer is probably none at all. Thinking about the words of Ecclesiastes ("patience is better than pride") I wonder if such people aren't simply consumed by pride - the feeling that they shouldn't have to sit there with everyone else waiting for the line to move; that they should have some right to a faster way. But nothing makes people more equal that waiting at a backed up border crossing. Yes. I was frustrated. But that proved the Ecclesiastes verse to me as well. The end - getting across the border - was, indeed, better than the beginning - having to wait in the lineup! I don't know that I was able to completely let go of my pride, and accept the situation and simply be patient. But I did learn a lot about patience and pride. Maybe having to wait is good for us sometimes! Whatever you're expecting and whatever you're waiting for - be patient! And have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment