Monday 12 August 2013

A Thought For The Week Of August 12

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." (Luke 5:16) I'm going on vacation for the next three weeks. I'm looking forward to the break from the weekly routine. Everybody needs a refresher every now and then. I often take note of our "workaholic" world, where people often seem completely unable to let go of their "work" for even a moment. Technology plays a part in that. Lots of people take their cell phones on vacation, check their e-mails, etc., etc. I don't do the cell phone thing. I admit that I check my e-mails and sometimes get Facebook messages from church folks when I'm supposed to be on vacation. It's the way of the world, I suppose. But I think it is important every now and then to have some "sabbath" time: some time away from the business and hustle bustle and just relax, spend time with family and spend time with God. Summer's a great way to do that. And for those (at least those Christians) who seem to feel guilty about taking time for themselves - you have to try to remember that Jesus did it too. I don't know if he considered it a "vacation" but he set aside time for himself (and had he been married and had children I suspect he would have set aside time for them as well) and he set aside deliberate time for God - and he made sure that he wouldn't be interrupted while doing so. I'm not disappearing for three weeks, and I'm not withdrawing to a particularly "lonely place," but I am going to have a chance to re-charge my energy and to renew my spirit. I hope all of us have had the chance to do that this summer - or that you'll get a chance soon. If Jesus needed it, then surely we do too! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment