Monday 7 July 2014

A Thought For The Week Of July 7

"Then Samuel called on the Lord, and that same day the Lord sent thunder and rain. So all the people stood in awe of the Lord and of Samuel." (1 Samuel 12:18) I woke up this morning to a thunderstorm. It was a big thunderstorm. Crashing thunder, bright lightning, torrential rain and driving winds. It woke me up at just before 4:30 in the morning - which is a little bit earlier than I usually wake up. But I wasn't irritated. I laid in bed for a while listening to it all, and then decided to get up. On my way downstairs, I stopped at a window we have at the top of our stairs and I just watched as the storm was happening outside. I confess that I was grateful that I wasn't outside in it, but standing comfortable inside, looking out the window, I found myself transfixed by it - and in awe of the wonders of God's creation. We take a lot for granted. We often take nature itself for granted. I know I do. But then I try to remind myself that all things are from God, and so all things reveal God in some ways. When I was a little boy, afraid of the thunder, I used to be told not to worry - that thunder was just God bowling! (This from a family that didn't believe in God - but it made a cute story and made me relax a little bit.) Now I'm not afraid of thunder anymore. And whenever a big thunderstorm hits, I stand in awe of the God who created this world and its environment and all the universe and its wonders, and all the power contained within. A praise chorus starts with the words, "Our God is an awesome God ..." It's true. Things like thunderstorms are a reminder of that for me. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment