Monday 16 January 2017

A Thought For The Week Of January 16, 2017

"... but in accordance with the holy One having called you - be holy yourselves also in all your conduct. Because it has been written that 'You shall be holy, because I am holy'" (1 Peter 1:15-16) This seems like a tall order - seemingly equating our ability to be holy with God's holiness. But how can I possibly be as holy as God? That's the first thing that comes into my mind. That's not even possible. God is God, and I'm - well - just me. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind that perhaps make this seem a little more reasonable. First is that we aren't actually being called to be as holy as God. Actually, we're being called to match our conduct with God's holiness. That's a little different. By nature I am not and cannot be as holy as God. But perhaps I can live out holiness? Perhaps I can make my actions a glimpse of God's holiness? Perhaps this is why Jesus says that we (all of us) are the light of the world? Maybe that's what these words are asking of us. And there's the question of holiness itself. What is holiness and how does God display holiness? It's a common word but not an easy one to define. It relates to goodness, and even to perfection. I think that in simple terms perhaps saying that God is holy is also saying that God is other; that God is different; that God is not like me. But that brings me back to the first issue: if God is not like me, and if God is holy, then how can I be holy in any way? Perhaps my conduct becomes holy when they stand out in such a way that people feel they have some sort of experience of or even encounter with God after encountering me. Not because I'm like God (I'm far from it) but because if I allow the Holy Spirit to guide my actions, I will stand out as different from the world around me in a positive way - in how I accept, welcome and love. Those things I can do. They're tough. I can't show any of them as perfectly as God does. But I can offer a glimpse of God in how I show them. And maybe that's holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment