Monday 15 September 2014

A Thought For The Week Of September 15

"Jesus said to him, 'Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only''" (Matthew 4:10) Years ago I remember reading from an author (I don't remember who) that if Satan wasn't a real being then a good chunk of the New Testament isn't even understandable. Or something like that. At the time it made sense, and I've even preached on the reality of Satan. And I actually do believe that "Satan" is real. But my understanding of what "Satan" is has changed over the years - largely because of how "Satan" is portrayed in the Bible. I now see "Satan" as a metaphor for all those things that tempt us to forget God and go merrily on our own way. In some ways that makes "Satan" even more real and much more of a threat, because there are temptations and false gods and principalities and powers all around us that seek (often very creatively) to get us to serve them rather than to serve God. Some of these things even seem good. The church (as an institution) is one, for example. But they all (the church included) try to suck us into their service  rather than letting us focus on and discern what God is really calling us to. This verse is from the story of the temptation of Jesus. That's what "Satan" is to me now - anything that tempts me to forget God and just focus on my own needs or wants or desires. And, frankly, all too often I give in. Jesus' words sound simple and easy: worship God and serve only God. But in a world full of temptations and pressures that's hard to do. That's why grace - embodied in Jesus - is so important. Jesus was able to cast temptation away and focus on God's will. So I claim that grace that came from Jesus - from a place of perfect obedience - and I pray that faith will transform me into a disciple, who will walk more and more faithfully in the way of God. I pray that for us all. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment