Monday 29 September 2014

A Thought For The Week Of September 29

"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup ..." (Psalm 16:5, NRSV) There's a lot of what you might call "flowery" or "majestic" language in the Bible to describe God. This verse isn't especially flowery or majestic in its description of God, but I do find it particularly interesting. "The Lord is my portion and my cup ..." At first glance, I wonder what that really means. And my initial uncertainty is a good thing, because it demonstrates that I'm not satisfied with what I know of God, and want to know God (and be known by God) more deeply and more intimately. As I struggle with these words, I find myself thinking about the image of a meal, where people have gathered, hungry and thirsty; in need of food and drink. This verse is suggesting to me that God is the one who truly satisfies our hunger and our thirst. As I look ahead to World Wide Communion this coming Sunday, I realize that there's a resonance with Holy Communion here. I reflect on Jesus being revealed in bread and wine. I think of God sending manna from heaven, and of Jesus describing himself as the living water. The point of this verse becomes (for me anyway) that with God even our most basic needs are met. There's nothing we truly need as long as we have God. To me, that's a pretty good summary of the good news. In fact, it's very good news! Whatever struggles we face in this world; whatever needs we perceive in this life: God is there, providing for us. All out of love. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment