Monday 22 September 2014

A Thought For The Week Of September 22

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18) I don't fear God. Or perhaps it's more appropriate to say that I'm not afraid of God. And this verse helps me to understand why. I can understand why some people would be afraid of God. God is greater than we are, and the belief that our lives haven't measured up to God's standards could make us afraid of what God might do to us. Now, my life hasn't measured up to God's standards either. I understand that. But the basic message of this verse is so clear: if you really believe that God loves you, then why be afraid of God? Someone who loves you as much as God would never hurt you. So much of what people fear - and so much of faith in a loving God seems paradoxically based on fear - makes no sense to me. Hell. Eternal damnation. They make no sense at all in light of the gospel of love and grace. I simply don't believe that a God who loves as Jesus revealed divine love would condemn those he loves to eternal torment. Some would say I'm naive, or deceived, and engaging in wishful thinking. I say it's just logic. Faith can't be based on fear of God, because ultimately faith is based on love - God's love for us and our love for God. The Living Bible seems to explain this verse well: "If we are afraid, it is for fear of what he might do to us and shows that we are not fully convinced that he really loves us." I am fully convinced. I have no fear of what God might do to me. I hope you can say that same. God loves us, and there is no fear in love. Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment